Thursday, January 16, 2014

Top 10 albums of 2013

It’s January 2014 - super weird. I think I use to think about 2020 being a thing of the crazy far-off future; kinda like the Jetsons would be here in real life. While that’s not really very true… it’s within spitting distance, and we’re all getting old. Even you. 
That being said, it’s that time of year again. My top 10 albums of 2013. It was a pretty ok year for new artists and albums - but there have been better. However, 2013 was the best year for live music for me; and I saw a lot of it.

10. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
This is such a beautiful album - maybe the loveliest album of the year and always a treat to see. #bonnaroo2013 delight.

9. MS MR - Secondhand Rapture
#dreampop and dreams of having rainbow colored hair.
Another Neon Gold Records label win. If Poliça had a little sister… 

8. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
Ok, ok. Maybe not their "best" but COME. ON. They sound great, this album has several great tracks, it's borderline dancy at times. And Trent is hot. I could be biased because this is a 14 year crush.

7. St. Lucia - When the Night
I dare you to try and be angry about almost anything while listening to this album. #tripledogdare

6. Poliça - Shulamith
I wasn't sure if they could live up to "Give You the Ghost." I was wrong. Also, I wouldn't mind borrowing clothes from Channy's closet.

5. Local Natives - Hummingbird
I will never tire of LN. Not now. Not tomorrow. Not ever. Keep strumming my heartstrings.

4. Disclosure - Settle
When a fire starts to burn...
BEST. DANCE. ALBUM. OF. THE. YEAR.

3. Haim - Days are Gone
Um, hi Haim. It's me, Afton. I want to be just like you.
If I would have learned to play guitar or drums and pursued a music career, this is the kind of band my dad would be proud of. 

2. Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
Never a disappointment so my expectations were high, which they blew out of the water. Also one of my favorite live shows of 2013.

1. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Hands down my favorite album of the year. If you know me, this is no surprise because I've listened to it on repeat since this summer. It's dancy. It's deep. It's electric. It's melodic. Their tunes are remixed all the time. They have a hot lead lady singer. They did everything right.
Honorable mentions: 
Austra - Olympia
Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Alpine - A is for Alpine
Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Goldroom - Embrace
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
Foals - Inhaler 
Blood Orange - Cupid Delux

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails